Saturday, June 9, 2007

Rezaz

I had heard good things about Rezaz ( www.rezaz.com ) from several people, but had not had the occasion to try it until a couple of weekends ago. It is located in the Biltmore Village and is easy to find, right on Hendersonville Road. We had missed our usual Friday "Date Night", so went up to Rezaz on a Saturday. Although we didn't have reservations, we got right in at about 6:00. I noticed as we left, it was very busy, so I think the fact that we got there a little early helped. Rezaz has two sides, the main restaurant (Rezaz) and their more casual deli and wine bar, Enoteca.

As soon as we were seated, two cream puff/pate a choux showed up with a seasoned butter. Although Fat Kat was not overly impressed (he thought they lacked flavor), I thought they were good, but agreed they were nothing exceptional. However, at the very least, it is an original serving idea. Later, the bread basket showed up with a few different varieties - all yummy! Our drinks, a beer and wine chosen from a reasonable selection, came quickly.

For entrees, Fat Kat chose an "Arborio Crusted Sea Scallop" dish and I went with the hanger steak (I'm still a little vague on the difference between that and a flank steak, but they do appear to at least be cousins of sorts). Mine was delicious and came with a blue cheese potato scalloped side, asparagus, and sauteed mushrooms. We also ordered a side of spring pea gnocchi. We are both huge gnocchi fans, however, a "pea" verison was new to us. It was amazing! And priced at a mere $5. The gnocchi was soft and flavorful and it came in butter sauce with diced tomatoes and spinach. I could've eaten an entire bowl of that. It would make a great vegetarian entree. Fat Kat raved about his scallops and I was lucky enough to score a bite. They were cooked perfectly. The interior melted in your mouth, which paired well with the crusty exterior. I am assuming that the "arborio" meant it was arborio rice flour. Different and fantastic. It was served with spaghetti squash and grilled vegetables, all excellent. Prices ranged from about $16 - $20 for entrees and there was enough for us to take half home (saving room for possible dessert!).

For dessert, we read the menu of the choices for that night. Nothing in particular really caught my eye (it leaned more toward fruity and I'm more sweets and rich flavors - I am, after all, "Sweet Tooth"). I will say, one item caught my eye, but it wasn't for a good reason. One of their offerings that night was a Rosemary Donut. Now, I never thought I'd meet a donut I didn't want to try, but rosemary? I know it probably just had a hint of the herb, but rosemary is a very assertive flavor......I like my donuts covered in sugary glaze or filled with fruit jam - the kind that goes straight to your hips. I just don't like people messing around putting savory in my sweets. I'll admit it piqued my curiousity; however, not enough to try it. I saw several going by, so it obviously interested some others. I guess I should've asked them how it was. Instead, we opted to check out the dessert case in the Enoteca side of the restaurant. There were several desserts to choose from (we got them to go, but I'm sure they would've brought them to our table). We finally settled on a Strawberry Shortcake cake and a Chocolate Eclair. Both Fat Kat and I tried a little of each once we got home. I wasn't blown away by either, but remember, I'm picky. The cake had a great texture, but needed a little more punch of flavor for my palate. The eclair, which was actually better overall than the cake, tasted as though the pastry had been overcooked, hidden by the chocolate glaze. It did have a decent amount of flavorful cream inside and a good coating of chocolate - two must-haves for my eclairs. I like eclairs that you need a small handtruck to take home.

The end result was that we loved Rezaz. The atmosphere was elegant, casual, and lively, all at the same time. Service was excellent and for the most part, the food, outstanding. It did get a little noisy by the time we were leaving, as the room had filled. The sound bounced off of the hardwood floors and walls; but it wasn't overbearing, it just added to the energy. There was also a nice bar counter where you could wait for a table or just sit down and eat your dinner. We happened to be seated right next to it and it did not interfere at all with our experience. I hear there is also a "chef's table" in the kitchen for a special experience. Parking is somewhat limited, as it typical for the Biltmore Village area; but if you're sneaky, you can easily score a spot in the large McDonald's lot across the street. We played a short game of chicken with an oversized land yacht in the Rezaz lot, then conceded and parked at McDonald's. With all we planned to eat, the walk would do us good! Fat Kat and I would definitely recommend Rezaz for a nice night out. Oh, and try the Rosemary Donut and let me know how it is...

No comments: